Tuesday, November 30, 2010

my collection

These were collected from the 60's until now. I only collect seals I plan to use with an exception or 2. Some, purchased at antique shows or online pre-date my collecting. I store and organize them by category. That way, they're easy to find.

I keep the in a little storage unit made for bits and pieces of hardware, like nuts and bolts and washers etc. The little slide-out drawers are clear. I used my Brother P-Touch to label drawers with their contents, like : small flowers, hearts, monograms etc. There are also drawers for sealing wax, tweezers, melting spoon and alcohol burner (which I never use but it came with a set of seals). Sealing wax is grouped by its mailability. Some wax is fine for gifts or hand delivered cards, but doesn't stand up to mailing. Other wax is more pliable and adheres very well, and that's the kind to put through the mail. If it's too hard or too brittle, it will crack off before it arrives at its destination.

I'm sure "serious collectors" who have collected wax seals for a shorter time than I, have many more seals. For me, it's not about the quantity, but rather if I will use it on correspondence or on a gift, etc. Having seals to have them, rather than for an intended use, doesn't appeal to me. It's an inexpensive, different kind of thing to collect. There are a few vintage ones I ordinarily check Ebay for, and every month or 2 I do a search to see if there is anything available that I'd like/use.

My close friends and family know that when I correspond with them, there will be an appropriate wax seal securing the contents of the envelope. In this age of advanced technology - which I relish and use - I enjoy the civility a wax sealed (4 ever) communication extends to its recipient.

Here is my collection: (I will update as necessary.)

Autumn:
Maple Leaf
Leafless Tree
Turkey

Birds:
Dove [Hallmark]
Owl

Celebrations:
Happy Birthday
Birthday Cake
Teddy Bear
Baby Carriage
Baby Foot Prints
Rocking Horse
Graduation Cap
Joy

Christian:
Alpha & Omega (Greek Letters)
Cross (14 k ring w/cut-out)
Praying Hands
Cross on Open Bible
Lutheran Rose (Rose w/Cross in center)
Shamrock
Maker's Mark

Christmas:
Merry Christmas
Partridge in Pear Tree
Bell with Ribbon [Hallmark]

Correspondence:
You've Got Mail
Thanks [Hallmark]
Thank You
Thank You (other)
RSVP
Quill Pen, Ink and Paper
Caution

Design Element:
Fleur Du Lys
Heart-shaped Leaf

Flowers:
Rose [my very 1st seal]
Daisy [Hallmark]
Daisy
Daisy (other)
Tulip
Basket of Flowers [Hallmark]
Basket of Flowers (other) [Hallmark]

Ribbon-tied Bouquet
Ribbon-tied Bouquet (other)
Generic Flower


Hearts:
Heart within a Heart [Hallmark]
Intertwined Curvy Hearts
Forget-Me-Nots in a Heart
Outlined Heart


Heraldry:
Lion
Large Shield
Small Shield
Crown

Insects:
Lady Bug [Hallmark]
Butterfly [Hallmark]
Dragon Fly

Jewish:
Menorah (7 branch)

Jewish Star
Ask for the Peace of Jerusalem (in Hebrew sterling ring)

Love:
LO
VE [Hallmark]
With Love
LO
VE (other)
Love (in script)
SWAK
Clasped Hands
Danger Love Bug
Love Ya
Love with Lips



Monograms:
EAD
DAA
D [Hallmark]
A (octagonal w/lion handle)
A [Hallmark]

Misc:
Coffee/Tea Cup
Apple
Mushroom
[Hallmark]
Apple or Peach [Hallmark]
Strawberry [Hallmark]


Music:
Treble Clef
Eighth Note

Patriotic:
US Flag
1776 - 1976 USA

Peace:
Peace Sign
Peace Sign (hand w/fingers in V peace sign)

People:
Sunbonnet Sue [Hallmark]

Retired:
2000
DTA

Sand and Sea:
Anchor
Fish
Shell
Light House

Wedding:
Double Wedding Rings
Double Wedding Bells

Winter:
Snowman


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: