Saturday, January 1, 2011

review: knit the season

So, as Christmas approached, I decided to read Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs, the knitlit author of The Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two. I'd had the book since it was published but not cracked it open for the year or 2 since. First, let me say I LOVED the Friday Night Knitting Club, and like everyone else who read it, wept at the part at which one should weep. (Not giving it away if you'd like a good read.) I thought Purl 2 was okay.  I didn't love it. I thought it was a little too predictable, but it was okay. Let me also say that I went on the wait list at my library to get Comfort Food,  Kate's book that immediately followed The Friday Night Knitting Club. I was the second or third person to read it from my library, and I returned it after reading 2 chapters.  I loathed the main character and wasn't willing to endure her, and thereby waste my time reading.  It just didn't float my boat.

Well, Knit the Season was not a pleasant read.  I'm a musician and the only way I can express it, is that the rhythm of the writing was way off.  May I be so opinionated as to call it forced? I knew the characters and understood everything Ms. Jacobs was writing, but her choice of words and prequel passages were just so cumbersome to me. I stuck it out and finished it.  It was okay, at best.  If I didn't like the character, Dakota, I wouldn't have finished it.

I was disappointed with this book. I think the Friday Night Knitting Club was a block buster because it was so real.  I don't know that making it a series was the wisest choice, given the 2 books that followed.  I must say that I am looking forward to the film of The Friday Night Knitting Club, which I understand is in some phase of production.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: