Monday, January 3, 2011

what I learned from sam's bed

Before I received a call from a quilter friend, Michelle, last night ~ which was a marathon conversation and took me away from the sewing machine, I learned a great truth I have heard many an excellent sewing enthusiast, like Material Girl, Donna say: It's wise to make a muslin sample before you sew the good stuff.

Well, now I understand and I'm so glad I did.

You know, how when you make a pillow for your sofa, couch, love seat, bed etc, and you don't want to use a zipper, you overlap the back panels for easy access to the pillow and for easy removal for laundering etc.? Well, I learned a great thing: When you're making a 36" dense foam pillow cover --- you can't make a big overlap because the foam is so rigid, you can't get the pillow into it.  Ah ha.  

Now, I will make the fleece and denim cover with one of the long bands overlapping, rather than the off-center back of the bed.  Wow, am I glad I did the muslin.  

The bed is late - which I can deal with. But at least now, it will be finished and usable. Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: