Friday, June 29, 2012

do you have an UFO bin, phds or a hope chest?


Whatever you call it, I have it.  I adopted the UFO terminology many years ago and am content with it, but project half done and hope chest are apropos, too.

I’m about 2/3s of the way through what I call My Own Little Crochet U. I’m crocheting every motif in Edie Eckman’s book Beyond the Square.  I shot her an email or a tweet about it and she sent a very gracious reply.  I will send her the link to my Flickr set when I’m done.  That’s the project that goes on hold the most frequently and I suspended working on it since about November.  I’m hoping to complete that this summer or at least by the end of the year. I will probably also crochet her entire Crochet Borders book too - I want my crochet to be a skill developed equally to my knitting - which I have been doing since the late ’60’s. I don’t have decades to cultivate it, so Edie will be my Elizabeth Zimmerman.  And I will try to digest all I can from her expertise.  These are long term projects - but the feeling of accomplishment after completing an interesting motif and I’m sure a border, are a welcome lift.



I have 2 Lazy Girl  Town Purse cut out and the linings are sewn to the inside pocket pieces.  When I began these bags, I was making one for me and one for a dear friend. She lost her brave fight against  4 kinds of stage 4 cancers in January, and there is a lot of unhappiness attached to this project.  I think this will be retired to UFO land for a while. I just don’t want to pick it back up right now. 

If you haven’t made a Lazy Girl bag and you like to sew bags, you may want to try one.  I have made the Gracie bag and it was an excellent experience. Directions were great, and that’s coming from an experienced machine sewer who sews like a beginner because I, heretofore, have not had enough continuous sewing time to feel really comfortable at my machine as soon as I sit down. It’s getting much better, but these long breaks from machine sewing don’t help at all.

I’m nearly finished with a small wall hanging made from a panel called Chapel in the Pines by Moda.  It needs a little more quilting and binding.  I REALLY REALLY REALLY  want that done for hanging in our apartment the day after Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: