Friday, June 29, 2012

king's wax review

If you’re unfamiliar with genuine sealing wax, it’s a product used to seal correspondence.  I know there’s a lot of faux and stick on sealing wax for scrap booking, but I’m referring to the kind you use on actual mailed correspondence. Of course you can use it for embellishing gifts and making metal clay jewelry etc. I was given a little brass wax seal and a couple of sticks of sealing wax with a box of stationery as a birthday or Christmas gift when I was about 9.  I have used it on personal correspondence ever since.  Back then, there were only 2 domestic companies that offered sealing wax for sale.  Now, a lot of companies and people make it, but a lot of what is on the market faux sealing wax.  You’d be hard pressed to break the faux wax because it dries almost like plastic or vinyl.

I was dubious when I found Ebay listings for a brand of sealing wax I didn’t already know. The web site, http://www.kingswax.com  seemed legit so I looked around and ordered some wax. The shipping is a bit high because the wax comes from Canada, so I ordered several sticks.  I ordered some breakable and some unbreakable wax.  The owner called me to clarify the order. He was nice enough to tell me that the form in which I ordered my wax was not the most economical so I changed my order for both kinds of wax to glue gun sticks, rather than the traditional shape, since I don’t use wicked wax.   As I recall, 1 color was out of stock, so I selected and alternate.  

I waited a week, then 2 weeks, then  almost 3 weeks.  No wax.   I hadn’t spent a fortune, but I did call to see where my package had gone.  I spoke to the owner who said a woman called him that same day, from Staten Island, NY, saying how she received my package.  Maybe there’s a street in Staten Island that has the same very common name of my street.  There may even be a house or apartment at my street number.  If the zip code was written incorrectly, I guess it could happen.  I know the owner was hand writing the order when we spoke.  I was disappointed, but it wasn’t life and death or anything, so I asked him if he’d send the order out anew.   He did and I received it  about a week later. 

Now, finally, I’m getting to the review.  I liked the wax very much. I think the unbreakable  recipe is comparable to the French J. Herbin wax I favored heretofore. My criticism is only that the nomenclature is off.  Breakable to me, is the hard wax that is used for security, like bankers’ wax.  Since I send my wax through the mail (and do other things with it)  I can’t use that real fragile wax that is made to break upon tampering, which was the purpose of employing the wax, to begin with.  The J. Herbin wax I use is called Souple, or supple.  It holds an impression nicely, but has enough flexibility to withstand the rigors of the postal system.  I assumed that Kings Wax unbreakable was comparable.  So, I only ordered a stick or 2 of breakable and loaded up with unbreakable.  It turns out, that Kings Wax breakable is like J. Herbin's "genuine" sealing wax, feels and behaves like faux sealing wax. There isn't a problem mailing faux sealing wax, but it’s so plastic-y or rubbery that it doesn't "feel" like sealing wax to me.

So, I learned that I like the consistency of Kings Wax breakable for mailing.  I’ll use the unbreakable sticks that I don’t prefer.  I put them in my glue gun and use them for “mass mailings” like the monthly birthday cards I send to students, their families and our friends, on gifts and even on notes I leave for neighbors here in our building.  I’ll use them up but I won’t re-order the unbreakable wax.  As for the breakable, it’s available in a huge array of colors - unlike the former wax I used which was only available in gold, silver, navy, red, green and bronze.  Good colors, but very basic. In Kings Wax, I have pearly sparkly burgundy, Tiffany box blue and others.   I love Kings Wax.

If you use sealing wax for scrap booking, I’m sure the unbreakable will work wonderfully for you.  If you use sealing wax for your correspondence, use the breakable. It  goes through the post perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: