Friday, June 29, 2012

a rose by any other name


I  knit a swatch for my first every Ravellenic Games project. [Of course, it's the first ever because this extravaganza used to be called the Ravelympics. Okay, Committee, I wrote it, come and arrest me.  What a joke that whole brouhaha was. Now,  we have been bulllied into calling it the Ravellenic Games.]

I’m making the Classic Elite Appalachian Shawl with Araucania Quillay  in color 2 and some Lion Brand LB Collection Superwash Merino in black. The swatch went well.  The shawl uses a lot of yardage but the pattern isn’t very fiddly.  There’s just 1 row of a knit, put back and reknit kind of wrapped stitch and there are only 2 purl rows  in each 12 row stripe sequence, of which you knit just less than 8 repeats.  I should be okay with it - even though our church has scheduled VBS during the first week of the Ravellenic Games, and whatever that sporting event they’re having over in London is.

I had to compromise my 'Knit, Crochet and Sew Down the Stash' rule. When I swatched I had a nagging doubt that my 3 skeins of Quillay (which I purchased on clearance at my LYS) might  not be enough because the yardage calculation didn't leave much room .  The thought of being unable to complete the project on time for this even made me crazy.  It's a discontinued yarn so I had a little hunting to do.  Coveted Yarn had it in my color.  I knew it was likely that the dye lot would be off, but I was delighted that the skein I received was the same dye lot as the other 3 I had. Yay!! Now, if I want to do an extra sequence row, I can do so (if time permits).



swatching for the Ravelympics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: