Tuesday, June 5, 2012

successful baby gift

The director of our apartment building will be going on maternity leave, for her first baby, at the end of the month.  We had a shower for her, but E-Rex had a surgical biopsy scheduled for that day, so I couldn't attend.

i wanted to make her something for the baby and decided to crochet a baby blanket.  I sifted through my accumulation of free patterns that I have received in emails or on Ravelry and found an untraditional one (and this mother is quite untraditional) that I thought I could make quickly.  The pattern is the Caron Candy Cable Baby Blanket.

Although 2012 is my year of stash busting, and I haven't bought much in the way of yarn or fabric, I didn't have anything in my stash that would work for a baby project. So, I grabbed my Michael's and JoAnn coupons. I decided on Vanna's Choice Baby yarn for the value and because I wanted to use an acrylic so it would be hypoallergenic and could survive lots of machine washing.  The mom wanted the baby's sex to be a surprise, so my brain defaulted to yellow and green.  The pattern requires 2 colors. The yellow I chose was called, Duckie and the green was called, Sweet Pea.  What great names!!  

I don't crochet as much as I knit. It's not second nature like knitting, but I feel pretty confident. My first serious project was a quite involved afghan that was a wedding present.  By comparison, this was less complicated and worked up more quickly because rather than motifs that have to be connected, the pattern was circular. It was large and heavy to handle at the end but that beat working a bajillion ends in. 





When I gave the baby blanket to the expectant mom, she was so delighted because Sweet Pea apparently is in the same family of green that's in the nursery.  Her thank you note said that she has this blanket draped over the rocker and it looks like it belongs in the room.  I'm so glad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: