Monday, February 25, 2013

stash enhancement

When the cable broke on the evening of the Downton Abbey finale, it caused hours of stress. I still haven't made a decision about whether to go ahead and finish my Money Pit (aka Appalachian) Shawl. I haven't been able to look at it "since the unpleasantness."  I told myself I was going to decide by yesterday, but I still haven't. I'm stuck.

I called KnitPicks to report the broken cable and request a replacement, but before doing so, I browsed their web site, for bargains and found a few:

They had a sale on some colorways of one of their self striping sport weight yarns, Felice.  I haven't used it before, but I have used Swish DK, their superwash merino yarn and found it utterly satisfactory for its price. I assumed Felice would be at minimum, a comparable quality.



Above is a colorway called Dockside.  


This one is called Stream Bed.

Why the guitars?  No, it wasn't an arty moment.  I had sauteed some chicken breasts for lunch. Whenever I cook on top of the stove, I take my guitars, which hang on a wall not far from kitchen, into the bedroom, so any flying projectiles from cooking that get into the air, won't shorten the life of their strings.  They were on the bed when I picked up the mail and opened my KnitPicks box.  I couldn't resist shooting them together.  (I wouldn't have thought of it if they were in their usual cradles.)

I'm thinking of using these yarns for fingerless gloves or mitts.  The Stream Bed will be great with jeans and a chocolate brown cape I wear a lot in the fall and very early spring.  I wear a good deal of red and blue and don't have enough left over yarn  to make these proposed accessories. That's a lie.  I don't have enough yarn that isn't mentally assigned to other projects.  Did I mention that the clearance prices on these yarns was ridiculous? 


I also purchased  some of KnitPicks's needle coils, which I like better than point protectors, for keeping yarn from escaping in transport etc.  I also ordered a packet of their split ring markers.  Their split is smaller than their Clover equivalents, and for crochet, having my stitch marker not fall out is imperative. In Clover's favor, I prefer their locking stitch markers to KnitPicks's because the Clover ones are more flexible and not as apt to snap. There was a great discount on a book I've been wanting, so I added that to the order, too.  (I'll review it separately.)

Although 1 cable broke, KnitPicks was kind enough to send me a complete set of 2 cables, 2 end caps and a tightener key.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: