Friday, March 22, 2013

trailblazing

I've been working on my Trailblazing Tote by Lily Chin for a couple weeks, alternating with a few other projects.  I'm making this first "prototype" out of cotton and rather than using a short double ended crochet hook, I'm using cabled interchangeable crochet hooks from Knitters Pride. For the first couple of rounds, I wasn't sure I was doing the joins correctly, therefore,  I am counting the stitches every couple rounds to be sure I'm not increasing or decreasing by mistake.  This is the first Tunisian crochet project I have attempted.  I like using the cable so I can work a single pass in one direction and then the return pass in one direction, rather than doing a short hook worth of Tunisian Simple Stitch and Tunisian Knit Stitches and then the return pass, then the tss-es and tks-es on the short hook again and the short return pass etc.  

bottom and first rows of the body

This project would go faster if I were a monogamous crafter, but alas, I am not. This is an easy pattern after the first 2 or 3 rows of the body. It's intuitive and the instructions are simple.   I think I'm going to like the FO, and if I do, I will probably make some others, perhaps with different shaped bottoms.  

a little farther along

This will be a large tote. I haven't determined how I will stabilize the bottom. Perhaps I will sew in plastic canvas and/or run the straps all the way under the tote and up the other side.  We'll see when I get there.

I'm using HandiCrafter in 3 solid colors (navy, gray and red) and 1 ombre that's a peachy color that moves from very pale  to a beige and a darker peach.  The bag would be lovely in a nice superwash or wool blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: