Monday, July 8, 2013

$wiffer $avinga

I've been using a Swiffer Wet Jet to clean my bathroom and kitchen floors for a long time.  I've had a pattern for a crocheted craft cotton washable "sock" to use rather than those costly disposable (and not that efficient) pads.  I have the older model, that has a single spray from the center.

I'm "cold sheeping" and trying not only to not purchase any new yarn, but I'm destashing, too.  I don't know what I was thinking when I loaded up on Bernat HandiCrafter Cotton gigantic balls when they were on sale at JoAnn some years ago.  They are definitely "craft" yarn and not garment quality cotton. When I used my penultimate Swiffer pad, I remembered that I had knit and crochet patterns for reusable pads and that I had tons of yarn that was perfect for the purpose.  Kismet!!

I made a few of these handy little helpers.  Today, when I mopped my floors, I was more than satisfied.  It cleaned well and  after a rinse in the sink, I will toss it into the washer the next time I do laundry.

The crochet pattern I used was free from Lily Sugar n Cream. I should say, the first pattern I used was that one.  When I completed it, I didn't understand why it needed to be constructed in 3 pieces.




 So the subsequent ones, I improvised as a single long rectangle, then I single crocheted the ends inward.   I fiddled with the number of chains with which to begin for the correct snugness, but it wasn't difficult.  








Unfortunately, now the Swiffer Wet Jets have dual sprays, and I wouldn't be surprised if the new design isn't intended to dissuade crafters from making these "socks."  Glad I've got an old one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: