The chocolate brown in this striping yarn is the same color as a cape I wear a lot while transitioning to winter. As soon as I saw the Ravelry pattern called Hedgerow Mitts, by Amy Ripton, I knew those were the mitts I needed to knit to keep my arms warmer when donning my capes. I began swatching this week.
I loved the feel of the yarn, I liked the fabric I created with the recommended needle size, but I was sure I'd run into gauge trouble because the pattern calls for fingering weight yarn for womens' size mitts. I could have gone down a size or 2 but I didn't want a denser fabric.
That meant I had to (gasp!) DO THE MATH! I haven't met a number I liked since 2nd grade, so it was something I put off for a few days. Once I calmed down and thought through how I needed to adjust the pattern to reflect my larger gauge, which meant fewer pattern repeats around the arm. I tweaked the numbers a little to make the number of stitches/repeats work neatly because the fabric created in the Hedgerow Mitts is quite stretchy.
I cast them on last night and will create a new post for the FO, when they are finished.