Sunday, September 8, 2013

Do the Math

We are finally having the first few 70-something degree days, which means crisp autumn days are coming. Quite a while ago, I purchased some Knit Picks Felici Sport yarn in Streambed. It's a discontinued colorway and weight, or I'd link to it.


The chocolate brown in this striping yarn is the same color as a cape I wear a lot while transitioning to winter.  As soon as I saw the Ravelry pattern called Hedgerow Mitts, by Amy Ripton, I knew those were the mitts I needed to knit to keep my arms warmer when donning my capes.  I began swatching this week.


swatch fragment


final swatch

I loved the feel of the yarn, I liked the fabric I created with the recommended needle size, but I was sure I'd run into gauge trouble because the pattern calls for fingering weight yarn for womens' size mitts.  I could have gone down a size or 2 but I didn't want a denser fabric.  

That meant I had to (gasp!)  DO THE MATH! I haven't met a number I liked since 2nd grade, so it was something I put off for a few days.  Once I calmed down and thought through how I needed to adjust the pattern to reflect my larger gauge, which meant fewer pattern repeats around the arm.  I tweaked the numbers a little to make the number of stitches/repeats work neatly because the fabric created in the Hedgerow Mitts is quite stretchy.  

I cast them on last night and will create a new post for the FO, when they are finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: