Monday, September 30, 2013

Friday Night Knitting Club, Sort Of

Since I read Kate Jabobs' book, The Friday Night Knitting Club and the 2 sequels, I have thought about how much I'd like to participate in an organized knitting group.  I wanted them to be local, and have been disappointed that the LYSes near me have groups that are at times for which I frequently can't be available.  I've been a member of MeetUp.Com for a while, in hopes that one of the yarnie meetups  will be just right for me and my non-typical schedule.  Oh sure, the Englewood meetups are enticing.  The days aren't good for me and in all honesty, I didn't care for the schlep.  Then, there's the Rochelle Park ones. Closer, but still not optimum. I even heard of another informal knitting (and crochet, I'm sure) group that met at alternate venues: one week in Fair Lawn and the next week in Montclair.   The Fair Lawn aspect was okay, but the evening was a night I work in Fair Lawn, so, double disappointment

Then, 2 months ago, a MeetUp.Com notification came into my email, mentioning a Friday night knitting and crocheting group getting together at my local Panera, which couldn't have been better!  It was going to be monthly, not weekly, but hey, it had great potential.  Unfortunately, my husband was sick when the first opportunity to attend rolled around.  

The second meetup took place last Friday, and I was the first one there.  The organizer, Sally Ann, Connie and Mary Ellen attended.  We introduced ourselves, chatted and began to get to know one another while we stitched.

I brought a few projects with me, but decided to work on a drop stitch scarf I had just cast on the night before.



Mary Ellen brought a nearly done, ultra bulky scarf, that became a beautiful neck/warmer or cowl because she was nearly at the end of her skein of yarn and she only had that one. 



Sally Ann was crocheting a lovely poncho in a yarn that had a soft halo, in a stitch that resembled knitting.  She was the first to leave and I neglected to take a photo of her project.  I'll do so next time.

Connie had crocheted years ago, so she worked on some crochet she had already started.



Although the room in which we met was FREEZING cold, the conversation and camaraderie was warm and we all parted, looking forward with great anticipation, to our next get together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: