Monday, September 30, 2013

Panic in Hook and Needle Park

Although I swore off over extending myself with gift crafting, and was highly successful last year because we were coming out of Super Storm Sandy and the beginning of E-Rex's cancer treatment, I feel like I'm scurrying through a jungle and long, grippy vines are tangling around me with every step.  I have to disabuse myself of all this craziness!!

I always knit or crochet for Michelle (who's a Christmas baby) and Alex (who's now residing in Birmingham, England), Gigi received a knitted gift last year and seemed to relish it - so she's on the list again this year.  Okay, that's 3. 

There's a new baby in our friend circle so there is temptation to create something cute for her, because she's so small and it will go quickly, but then there's her older brother and her mom (who's been a friend for quite a while) and dad.  I shouldn't go down this road. I'm already committed to making a Christening gown for her, but a date hasn't been set because of some family complications.

Last year, someone at church, who knew I knit and crochet, asked if I could make a hat and scarf for the men in a shelter, who need winter wear.  I couldn't say no and made 2 or 3 sets for her.   On Friday night, Sally Ann asked if any of the meetup attendees wished to make hats and scarves for women in a shelter for battered women.  Of course I'd like to, but before committing, I checked with my Grace sister, to see if she was going to be collecting again this year, and since she is, I will forego the women's shelter crafting and reprise my  2012 donation - or pretty near.

Okay, so now it's 3 yarn crafted gifts, for sure, at least 1 hat and scarf set, maybe 2, a Christening gown for which I may only have a few weeks' notice.

Then, there are the office personnel in our apartment building.  They're great to us.  I was thinking about very simple cowls for them, or maybe crochet bead bracelets.  I'm on the fence about crafting for them this year.

Oh, did I mention my plan to make a baby guinea pig amigarumi for a former student who is a good friend?  She loves guinea pigs and has one. 

I'm feeling the walls closing in because a few neighbors and I get together for an informal knit/crochet/embroidery/cross stitch group for a couple hours on Tuesdays.  One of the participants is our next door neighbor.  She and I usually exchange small gifts.  I have never knit or crocheted for her.  I'm hoping she doesn't think I will be this year.

Then, there are the instructors/presenters from a class I took in the summer.  I saw them last week and looking at their personal styles, I'm sure they'd love a handmade Thank You something. I'm sure they don't expect anything.

In years past, I used to make something for each of  our Pastor's kids, all 3 of them.  I broke the tradition last year because of all that was going on as Christmas approached.  I should leave well enough alone.

I know I'm being sucked into a vortex of my own creation but I don't know how to stop.  Even the WIPs I've got going that are for me, and that I really want to finish, haven't had any prophylactic effect!

When thinking of a title for this cry for help disguised as a blog post, the allusion to the movie Panic in Needle Park was irresistible.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: