Friday, December 27, 2013

LYS Discounts

I'm not looking forward to my favorite of the LYSs in my area closing.  It's sad on a personal level as well as a social and commercial one.  A few weeks ago, I went there to pick up a couple of 2mm circular needles.  I had one that broke and I was in the midst of a project that HAD TO be finished ASAP. I purchased 2 different brands that I had not used but had heard and read several good reviews. One was the iconic Addi Turbos (lace, in this case) and the other was ChiaoGoo (Knit Red).


While I was browsing what circular needles were still available, I noticed some Knit Picks Caspian cables. I have several different sets Knitters Pride interchangeable knitting needles.  For me, they are practical, well priced, and overall, they are durable.  I knit many projects like socks, sleeves, mitts etc. on 2 circs, rather than a short one or 4 or 5 dpns.  I have both purple and black cables. (Purple from the Knitters Pride Knit Picks Options and black from  regular Knitters Pride general line.)  I picked up a few green Knitters Pride Knit Picks Caspian cables in lengths I use often.  I went back the following week to get a few more but they were sold out.  Bummer.

I finished my project using both the ChiaoGoo and the Addi needles.  I loved the Addis.  The jury is still out on the ChiaoGoos.  I will use them again.  The bend in the needle feels foreign, but not necessarily bad.  I like the cables on both needles.

When I returned to the store, only to find no Caspian cables left, I did find something else. Because the LYS is closing, everything is discounted by  20%.  There were 2 sets of Knitters Pride Nova Cubics interchangeable needles in a display case with a few other needle sets.  I like the Knitters Pride Symfonie Cubics interchangeables, and use them often. These sets are similarly priced, from wherever they are purchased.  I didn't go to the shop intending to spend more than a few dollars on cables, but the opportunity to add to my Cubics arsenal at a discount, and without any shipping charges caused me to change my original plan.  



They came in a gray fabric and clear vinyl case, along with a selection of  4 cables (one 24", two 32", and one 40"), 8 end caps, 4 cable keys and a set of cord connectors.  I'm looking forward to using them in the next project I cast on, of appropriate gauge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will appear as soon as it is moderated, unless deemed inappropriate for the sealed4ever blog content.

most recent posts: